If your idea of Maldives is primarily centered around visions of tropical palm-lined beaches, clear turquoise shorelines, sunbathing and sipping cocktails by the cabana, you are in for a surprise. Although Maldives is an idyllic place for a relaxing spa session, the country is home to some of the best dive sites around the world. The tropical coral reef is home to a diverse marine ecosystem that draws in biologists from all over the world each year. So, from dining next to sharks todiving in some of the bestsnorkeling sites on Earth, here are the top 10 experiences to be had in Maldives.
- Visit the Glowing Beaches of Mudhdoo–Bioluminescentbeaches are a rare and majestic sight. The glowing beaches of MudhdooIsland are truly a sight to behold. The phenomenon occurs between September and November and can even be seen from neighboring islands in the Baa Atoll.
- Swim with the Gentle Giants –In order to experience the Maldivian aquatic life tourists must embark on a snorkeling or diving expedition. For a more immersive experience we recommend a dive with the gigantic whale sharks and the mammoth manta rays of the Indian Ocean.
- Experience a Stingray Feeding Frenzy –The Maldivian marine life is home to a vast variety of aquatic species.The shallow water near the shoreline is the feeding ground for stingrays, and although it is not safe to take a dip in the water with them, you could always watch the action from the beach.
- Spot the Maldivian Big 5 by a Shipwreck–Scuba diving being a huge attraction in Maldives attracts thousands of professional and amateur divers to its shores every year. One of the popular forms of deep-sea diving is exploring the famous shipwrecks near the coastline, trying to spot the big 5 – whale sharks, sea turtles, dolphin, manta rays, and eagle rays.
- Surf the Coral Reef Breaks –Home to some of the best surfs on Earth, the Maldivian archipelago feature endlessreef breaks for amateur and professional surfers to try their hands at the sport. Surfing draws a sizeable portion of Maldivian tourism, and is a must-see on your next vacation.
- Dolphin Spotting –Maldives is home to 20 different dolphin species,andinthe waters around Meemu Atoll there is an 85% chance of spotting these playful mammals. Although no amount of money can guarantee sightings, visiting during early morning to mid-afternoon can increase your chances of catching these marvelous creatures in their natural habitat.
- Try Your Hands at Stand-up Paddle Boarding –The calm waters near the reef lagoons are ideal for first-timers. Try your hand at the sport and you will be rewarded with magnificent views of colorful reef fish and baby reef sharks swimming underneath the glass-like surface of the ocean.
- Go Out on a Night Diving Session –If you are up for a little more adventure, sign up for a night diving session. The instructors will give you a special UV mask that causes the corals to light up as if under black light. Watch the seemingly simple sightings during the day transform into a surrealneon playground after dark.
- Day Trip to a Nearby Local Island –The locals are warm, friendly, and serve up some of the best cuisine that one can probably imagine. Plan an excursion to any nearby local island and spend the day interacting with the natives, learning about their history and culture.
- Underwater Dining –Maldives is home to some of the best underwater restaurants and nightclubs in this part of the world. Enjoy a hearty meal as the fish swim next to you on the other side of the glass enclosure.
OVHolidays is a premium destination management company proficient in organizing tailor-made vacations to Maldives and the Seychelles islands. Visit our website for the best offers onholiday deals Maldives.You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram for some wallpaper-worthy pictures from time to time.